Saturday 7 November 2009

Project 2: Back to Wupatki

Soon Tuesday morning was here again, and luckily this time I had the bedroom to myself so I could use the light to pack up my sleeping bag, etc instead of the usual reaching around in the dark, hoping your eyes will adapt but still managing to wake those not getting up when you trip. Soon we were on the road and back to the old campsite. I was a bit more speedy putting up my tent this time, especially without having to fight the wind. Back to the work site, and it was bright and hot - stark contrast to last week. This would be the last week the project would be running and so we knew we had a lot of work cut out for us to do.
The first couple of days involved us working to complete the last section of fence which meant more cement mixing and pouring for me, rolling up of old barb wire (very tricky and made me glad my Tetnus vaccination was up-to-date) before rolling out barbed wire (bloody heavy, I wanted to cry). We'd then take our positions along the length of the new fencing from the corner to the newly contructed A-bracket, and prepared to stretch and clip the fence into place. We then had to screw in "stays" into the fence at equal intervals to help it stay in place (I took the equal intervals to heart and with my Virgo streak, I proceeded to use the length of the stay to measure the intervals correctly while others just did it by sight - I may have taken longer but at least I could look back at my fences with complete satisfaction!). The days were long, made longer by the heat we were working in this time. I don't know how hot it was, as when I asked, someone would say in the 80's, and not knowing how that translates into degrees celisus, I just made the sufficient nod and slow low whistle to make it appear that I did.

Dinner, back at the camp was always what I looked forward to best, once the fire was started and the pans were boiling up ready for rice, or pasta, or rice, or pasta. But it was all good, except when the gas container ran out one night and we had to start putting the pot directly on the fire. Everyone helps prepare, cook and clean up so that by 7.30pm-ish we all sit round the fire, trying to store it's warmth before making the journey to the dark cold tents. The nights were so clear that it was great to see the stars (including the Milkyway) and the red moon rising (a little odd) but it also meant that again the temperature would drop. I'd wake up each morning slowly taking each arm out, then my head and upper torso - slowly trying to aclimatize to the temperature. It never worked. Instead I'd just sit there huddling and shivering in my $5 fleece blanket from Walmart, before changing into my dirty, dusty and freezing cold work clothes, and making the break into the cold air outside.

The last two days involved and lot of clearing up, and trekking back and forth across the dessert park carrying old wire, clippings, poles and tools. Before moving to another location to do the same. There was a crazy moment where realisation hit me about where I was - I was sitting on the tailgate of ATG's (our other "expert in the field" supervisor, yes ATG is his name) truck lobbing old poles and metal clippings from out of the truck while Country Western music blarred from the radio, and then I suddenly thought "Oh my god, I'm in Cowboy Country".
The last fencing location was hideous - it involved climbing down, and up both sides of a canyon. I wanted to cry when I first saw the pile of crap we had to carry back, expecially in the heat of the day. But luckily I masterfully constructed myself a sleigh out of the cement mixing tray, and loaded it up to take back. Not finding any coyotes or enough lizards to sufficiently pull the sleigh for me - I instead half carried and half dragged my load back. The journey was hard and I'd grumble and curse under my breath but eventually I made it to the truck only to empty my load, take a quick swig from my cantene and make my way back again to reload.
I may make it sound like it was not enjoyable, but even though there were times I wanted to lay down and die in peace, there was really good fun times too. On the last night we made our Chilli Macaroni and put our little Guy Fawkes (made out of twigs and with a grape for a head) on the fire as it was November 5th. Then ATG came over and made us a cake from cakemix, blueberries filling and Sprite, cooked on hot cinders. We then played a game of throwing hot cinders to and fro, before he told us some stories of rattle Snakes, where practically everyone who was bite died. I on the otherhand was more concerned with a Spider I had spotted (the first one) - it came out of the fire so I suspected it was some kind of magical fire spider with powers so great it could potentially take over the world in time. All I could do is wind up my headlamp to full power and make sure it wasn't making its way to my tent, only a mere 20 metres from the camp fire. I unfortunately lost it's track, so had to do a thorough spider check of my tent and sleeping bag before bed. Rattle Snakes and Scorpians be damned.
And so our time at Wupatki was finally over, we made our way back, washed the truck and ran to the nearest shower.

No comments: