Monday 21 May 2007

Mount Warning...My Everest!


Next Stop was a little town after Byron called Murwillumbah! Lovely little town, Lovely little Hostel managed by a lovely little old man called Tassie. It was lovely, except for the bloody big mountain we took it upon ourselves to climb! Set out with 3 guys who had to keep stopping for us to catch up but boy was it a struggle getting up there....4.4km of rocky paths through forests...spider webs everywhere! But it is the last 100 metres that were the living end! Bloody hell...it was a mad scramble up rocks, finding footholes anywhere trying to pull myself up using the chain by the side - the only aid. It was horrible, I kept thinking "why the bloody hell I am doing this"...then I saw an old woman climbing past me back down...so instead I thought..."if she can do it!" so eventually I made it to the summit....leaving Jen somewhere below but she eventually made it aswell...I'd left her on the way up, thinking I'd collect her corpse on the way down...but she made it so all good!

The going down was hideous....I just scrambled on all fours, legs shaking and a lovely downward view of rocks but somehow we made it down and hours later we came out of the rainforest with stupid grins on our faces. If I had known how I would ache the next day I wouldn't have grinned, but everytime I saw the mountain in the distance from the hostel after that, I laughed at it....ha ha ha! I had one up over nature!

No comments: