Wednesday 10 October 2007

San Francisco, California!

Yes, we arrived in San Francisco in the dead of night, and had decided to be thrifty and save money by getting the BART train and walking the 6 or so blocks to the hostel. This would have been easier if (a) we hadn't had our 20KG backpacks and (b) San Francisco wasn't all hills! But nearly dead from exhaustion and looking slightly worse for wear we eventually made it to the hostel just before midnight! The dorm room....not too bad!
So we began our time in San Francisco the next day, walking. Walking the hundreds of blocks to Pier 39 to see the sea lions and fun stuff....such as visiting the "Bubba Gump Shrimp" restaurant where outside I met Forest Gump himself! While it wasn't Tom Hanks but a good impersonator. I was a bit weary as at first I'd taken him for just some random guy but when I realised he was paid to be there I thought what the heck, and so had my photo with him and had a chocolate from his box of chocolates!

Then we walked the hundreds of blocks to get a good view of the Golden Gate Bridge. It took some time with lots of buildings, then boats and even trees in the way but eventually I got a good photo. We then had to get back to the hostel which unfortunately was all uphill...boy was that a mighty walk up those streets. It was really tiring and I found myself mentally waving my fist at the cable car trams that passed us comfortably going up the hill I was practically dying on! What a stupid idea to build a city on hills! Completely knackering!


No comments: