Thursday 27 September 2007

When in Rome.....

Well, not in Rome but when in Hawaii you got to go to a Luau and so we did! We came back to Waikiki for about a week and so we hopped on to the coach for Germaine's Luau. On the coach we were the only Brits (very unusual) and were surrounded by Californians everywhere we turned. But eventually (lots of traffic) we arrived and had a great time! The Full moon was out and we all sat on our tables by the beach to watch the show.

The Hula dancing and all the island dancing (Tahiti, Samoa, Fijian and even New Zealand's Haka) they performed were great. Like the Maori meal (as it's all the same sort of culture across the islands) at the beginning of the evening they unveiled the Pig that had been cooking under rocks underground, before we sat down and helped ourselves to the feast. I had learnt my lesson at the Maori evening in New Zealand therefore I only had one medium-sized plate full which was OK. But they also served free soft drinks and three free cocktails. So I thought I'd best get to know the culture a bit and had a Hawaiian Mai Tai, followed by a Margarita and a Melon Ball. I also had a Root Beer as I always hear it on the U.S shows and thought I should try it but I didn't like it. It was a great evening though and we even got free shell Lei to go around your neck! Excellent.

No comments: