Wednesday 20 June 2007

Kata Tjuta (The Olgas)

With the sun finally up, our limbs began to loosen up a little with the warmth and soon we were back on the road, this time heading for a formation of rocks equally as spectacular as The Rock if not more so. They're called Kata Tjuta and look like a series of domed rocks out the middle of nowhere but were actually formed around the same time as Uluru. We had a long but good hike around the domes and sat amongst them to hear our guide tell us aboriginal stories of the rocks creation and how The Rock and Kata Tjuta were first discovered and named Ayres Rock and The Olgas. He also told us the geology behind how the rocks were formed and it was very interesting...I just can't really remember it now. But we did see another huge spider.

That night we camped at cattle station and had another fab meal, plus we tried Kangaroo tail (not great, bit fatty and pretty pointless as there was hardly much meat on it) and tried our best to play the didgeridoo (or alternatively, make elephant sounds with it if you're me!) before another night under the stars. I wrapped myself up cosy in my swag with the "monster flap" (bit of canvas that goes over your head to keep the monsters out...i.e. snakes) just over my forehead which left a gap between for my eyes to poke out and I could watch the stars and milkyway on wide screen! Pretty good.

No comments: