Tuesday 19 June 2007

The red Centre & Uluru....We made it!

A nutritious breakfast of fruit loops and coco pops, a 2 hour flight with 30 minutes time difference and we were finally there: Northern Territory, The Red Centre! We stayed in a fantastic little hostel called Alice Lodge at Alice Springs, where the town's river runs underground (crazy I know!) before we embarked on our 3 day tour to Uluru (Ayres Rock and beyond). Aptly named "The Rock Tour" it was an early start and a long drive down a very long, straight road that stretched out as far as I could see! Listening to our crazy tour guide's crazy taste in music until finally seeing a giant red rock standing in the distance amongst all the flat nothing around it! Uluru as it's been renamed from Ayres Rock. All I could think was it's bloody huge! So when we actually arrived at the rock to walk the base I couldn't fit the whole thing in one photo, so instead I have loads of photos of all little bits of it! Success!

We did the basewalk around Uluru (which took ages) and the whole time we were covered with these annoying flies (I nicknamed them "Sons of Satan"); they were on my hat, they'd take a ride on your back, they'd land on my glasses and even in my mouth (which got me singing, "There was an old woman who swallowed a fly...")! We were told that we would know if we had gotten lost during the walk as the Rock would no longer be on our right side, but luckily it was still there after 2 hours as we got back to where we had started! It was a good walk as you actually saw the rock is grey, only the top surface had oxidised to a red colour. Cool!

No comments: