Friday 29 June 2007

White Water Rafting on River Kaituna!


The next day in Rotorua called for nerves of which I did not possess. We had decided to give White Water Rafting a try...but just as the bus to take us there was about to pick us up, we got nervous and were just perhaps going to back out...but it was too late - we were suddenly in the bus and on the way before we knew it. 15 minutes later were were kitted out in wet suits, over jackets, a life jacket, completed with a "Raft It!" helmet clamped down on our heads and on a bus to the river. 15 minutes after that we were on the River Kaituna listening attentively to everything the instructor told us, 5 minutes later we were approaching the first rapid!

But really it was great fun, real high octane, adrenaline pumping stuff! The Route we did was actually the highest grade 5 activity (of the 1-5 grade rating system of thrill seekers activities)...why? Because of the bloody great big waterfall that lay ahead of us on the river. In a 4 metre raft complete with oars, we were soon approaching a 7 metre water fall. In fact its the World's Highest Commercially Rafted Waterfall! As we approached it, I knew it was too bloody big for my liking! But with it fast approaching, I just ducked as we were told to do and then all I remember is water!
In actual fact we had made it down the water fall, pushed down into the water below and became totally submerged before bobbing up to the surface a few seconds later. Bloody scary but great fun...afterwards! Phew...thank god we didn't capsize since I hadn't listened properly to the instructions as to what to do if we had!

The rest was pretty easy except for the part when our guide picked on me and another girl, and stuck our heads in another rapid...so much water went up my nose! But it was a grand day out! I spent a lot of it plain scared but I'd definitely recommend it!

2 comments:

Carla The Wanderer said...

Hi! Just a quick note about the photos: I can be seen third person from the front on the right side of the boat as you see it! The series of pictures shows our descent down the 7 metre waterfall and return to the surface! Carla xx

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I did not know about this before you did it! It scares me just reading about it! Dad says he hopes you kept your camera dry this time.
Sounds like you enjoyed Hobbiton, did you find somewhere nice for me to live!
Love from Mother Hobbit