Tuesday 7 August 2007

Christchurch & Kaikorua

Back on the road and with a crazy, loco bus driver to boot. We spent the journey to Christchurch all doing the driver's crazy music quiz. It was tough with the likes of "Right Said Fred" popping up but me and Jen did pretty well or so we thought. Christchurch is basically the UK. It's a large uni city so we spent our time shopping!
Then it was on to Kaikoura, which was a sweet little town. We decided to spend a day walking around the Kaikoura Peninsula. The strangest thing happened...it was sunny and 18 degrees so we had to de-layer! The first time since arriving in New Zealand. Still nothing can get me to give up my cosy thermals yet! Well, perhaps Fiji will.

It was another long but really nice walk in the countryside and also by the pacific ocean. There were lots of sheep and some of them had cute little bouncing lambs. You could keep hearing these tiny little pathetic "baa's"...they were so sweet! Then we turned a corner to see the sheep walking by the sea shore - seemed a bit of an irregular sight and that was followed by looking beyond the sheep to the white rocks that were completely covered in fur seals! They looked like a load of black leeches from where I stood so out came the binoculars! It was cool to see so many of them and see them having fun in the sea! After that seal colony we came across another but before that I had another encounter with a cow...this one had a crazy look in its eye and not much separated us one I'd gone over the fence into it's field....But I think I successfully stared it down!

After a hard days walk, the next day was spent on the beach enjoying Kaikoura's famous Fish n'Chips! Now, my dad had told me about New Zealand's gangs, but he didn't tell me about the "Seagull" gang that surrounded us once they'd seen our food.

They edged nearer, flapping their wings menacingly but it seemed like a standoff that was going nowhere until one took the chance and swooped at Jen's fish and got some. She went crazy and ran at them, screaming! I looked on in shock - but it did the trick! That was until I took pity on one with a bad leg! I'll never learn!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats funny - we were in Christchurch last week as well - Dorset that is! I bet you don't need to count sheep at night to get to sleep with all the exercise you are getting. Have your boots worn out yet? To think I used to worry about you walking home from town. It sounds like your weather is better than ours - it has turned to winter again here. Cold and wet. Dad says have you seen a kiwi yet (bird, not the fruit!) I bet you and Jenny have seen more of NZ than most of those living there. Keep safe, hugs + kisses.xx